Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bailout.

There's been an ongoing push by GOP to frame the stimulus as a pet project loaded "with pork barrel spending". Well yes, be that as if may, if you think about it, almost everything is a pet project it just depends on your values. I personally love the fact that so much money is being channelled to education, public transportation and renewable energy. I am perfectly happy to have this money ear-marked for said projects. Let's be honest, when compared to what the Bush Administration has thrown at the DoD, we're talking pennies in comparison. The GOP has been combing through the bill, as everyone should, but they've spent so much time trying to find wasteful spending, they seem to have forgotten why we need this money in the first place. The unemployment rate in America is steadily rising and yet the elements Republicans are claiming to be wasteful don't make much sense to me. They've deemed elements such as "$500 million for state and local fire stations" as wasteful spending. Why would you NOT want your local fire department to be as up-to-date as possible? I mean my local fire dept does a helluva lot more than just save kittens from trees, I would hope that they are able to have a nice facility and the most recent advances in fire protection! We're talking lives here-

The more time spent trying to discredit this effort, the more the market's failing. While I am not expecting this stimulus to be the end of this recession (I mean by now it's global), unless completely mismanaged, even these "pet projects" will be creating much needed jobs! I'm holding my breath to see how many more projects GOP pulls out and highlights just for kicks...but I kinda like seeing what they deem "unnecessary".

No comments: